Tuesday, August 19, 2008
Yeah, so I read alot...
...probably some esoteric book you ain't never heard of. So here's one for you..dealing with external saviors.
It is a little known fact that there have been more than fifty prominent Jewish ‘Messiahs’. These characters, though unrenowned today, inspired messianic fervor that at times seized the whole Jewish, Christian, Muslim and even secular worlds. The stories of these fifty Messiahs, both male and female, are unknown – suppressed by Jewish religious authorities or ignored by historians of all religions. Until now. In Fifty Jewish Messiahs, these Jewish Messiahs are remembered, and now their forgotten stories - whether humorous, bizarre, tragic or solemn - are finally told.
* The Messiah who killed the Pope
* The Messiah who was saved from the Inquisition when the Pope hid hi m in the Vatican
* The Messiah who demanded that his head be cut off in order to prove his immortality
* The Messiah who defied the Holy Roman Emperor
* The 17th century Messiah whose followers continued their secret society into the 20th century
* And to contemporary times and the story of the late Lubavitcher Rebbe, Menachem Mendel Schneerson, and how he inspired a passionate and devoted following.
Above all, Fifty Jewish Messiahs examines humanity, not divinity, and history rather than theology. Taken together, these intriguing stories paint a vivid portrait of the universal and timeless human need for optimism, and hope in a better future.